Areola reduction – Sydney
While most women seem to be breast augmentation procedures, there are women who are unhappy with the look of their nipples too. Nipple abnormalities can be congenital or given way to by puberty. Nipple is the protruded skin placed in the centre of the pigmented skin named areola. Why in most cases this surgery is performed for cosmetic reasons, there can a medical side to the urgency of this procedure too.
Areolar reduction can be a fine form of surgery for the women who have their nipples inverted. Women with over-protruded nipples and puffy nipples can look forward to a relief with this procedure too. They look aesthetically ugly to the eye. While the mild cases can be subdued with the procedure of breast augmentation, the others would require areolar reduction. Breast augmentation surgery would require the placement of saline or silicone implants.
Should I be going for areolar reduction surgery?
While most cases can be satisfied with the performance of breast augmentation surgery alone, some patients may require this additional procedure for obtaining a satisfactory areola appearance. You may be a perfect candidate for this procedure if:
- There is an existence of disproportion between the size of the both areolas and nipples.
- The disproportion between the sizes of the nipples might have led an increase in the size of one areola.
- in some women the absence of areola and pigmented tissue can be witnessed with the presence of puffy nipples
- large areola circumference with or without an irregular boundary
- nipple is not placed exactly in the centre of areola tissue
- insufficient amount of areola pigmentation
- Also termed as “Montgomery Glands”, there might be the presence of multiple protrusions within the areola frame.
- presence of traumatic, pale scars in the region of areola
- Patients who have undergone the mastectomy procedure might require reconstruction of areola.
How is areolar reduction performed?
The physician would first evaluate the condition of the nipples. areolar reduction surgery would involve the removal of the overextended and pigmented portion of the areola. The incisions carried out for the performance of this procedure are placed around the base of the nipple. Usually, vertical incisions are made around the areola that resembles the shape of a lollypop. The incisions placed are of a very small size for avoiding the chances of excessive scarring. You would be required to follow a set of instructions from the physician�s end for confirming the best results after the performance of this procedure. The team of certified surgeons should be contacted for this procedure.
Frequently Asked Questions
How soon can I recover from areolar reduction surgery?
While recovery time varies from one patient to another depending on the intensity of the procedure, most of the people return back to work within 2 to 3 days of the surgery.
Would I have to stay in the hospital after surgery?
No, this surgery is performed in the outpatients ward. Patients can go home after the surgery.